Must be at least 18 years of age
Job Title: Baker/Cake Decorater
Location: Springfield, VA
Schedule: 20-25hours per week. Tuesday – Saturday, occasionally Sundays. Must be able to work weekends. Potiental to be full-time in late-Summer/ early-Fall 2020.
Application Requirements: All applications must include:
- A resume
- A cover letter or statement which includes days and times you are available to work and hourly rate requirement
- At least 3 professional or academic references
- If you are applying as a decorator, please also send sample images of your work if you are experienced (small file size or link to portfolio).
To learn more about our bakery visit www.obubblebakery.com.
To apply email resumes, cover letters, and references to: email@example.com.
NO PHONE CALLS! Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Out of the Bubble Bakery is a home-based, allergy-friendly bakery, dedicated to crafting safe, delectable, and artistic desserts. We are mostly vegan, and completely dairy-free and nut-free.
We are looking for a careful, energetic, organized, and detailed oriented baking assistant or decorator. You will work closely with the Manager in preparing, baking, and decorating vegan and allergy-friendly baked goods for farmers markets, custom orders, and special events. Candidates must be comfortable working in close quarters out of a home kitchen and able to lift and carry 50 pounds. The job requires standing, walking, bending, the ability to lift, stack, and maneuver heavy objects. Weekend and holiday work will be required in the position.
In addition to the following responsibilities the ideal candidate must have demonstrated excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong math skills, and a demonstrated ability to multi-task. Candidates can specialize in baking and/or decorating. Having experience in both areas is not required.
- Complying with sanitation and safety standards and requirements
- Prepare a variety of bakery products in accordance with Out of the Bubble Bakery protocols, recipes, and high standards in order to produce a safe and quality product.
- Scale recipes for production
- Bake cakes, cookies, brownies, bars, cupcakes cakes, muffins, scones, and quick breads
- Make icings and fillings
- Color icings and fondant
- Prepare cakes, cupcakes, and cookies for decorating: level, torte, fill, and frost
- Package and label products for farmers markets and customer pick-ups/deliveries
- Wash and sanitize utensils, tools, equipment, and surfaces
- Occasionally answer phone calls and record customer orders
Required Baking Skills:
- Proficient with math calculations to scale, weigh, measure, and to calculate order totals
- Prior bakery experience a plus, beginners welcome but coursework in culinary arts program desired
- Basic computer skills
Cake Decorating Responsibilities:
- Decorating cakes from start to finish. Covering cakes, applying decorations (piping, painting, making and applying fondant and gum paste decorations)
- Working with manager and customer on collaborating on design, problem solving and decorating.
- Coloring frostings and fondants
- Preparing design templates
- Sketching design ideas
- Keeping inventory of decorator supplies
- Cleaning and sanitizing decorating tools
Cake Decorator Qualifications:
- Ability to work with buttercream covered cakes, fondant covered cakes, piped flowers and lettering, and fondant decorations
- Must have a wide range of cake decorating skills including covering cakes in fondant, piping, painting, and carving cakes into shapes.
- Must be comfortable working with cake, icing, and pliable materials such as gum paste and fondant.
- Strong time-management skills, ability to prioritize and multitasking are essential.
- Attention to detail – must have a stellar work ethic and take extreme pride in a job well done.
- Must work quickly, cleanly, and efficiently.
- Must be able to articulate design ideas into sketches and written/verbal communication methods